March 2, 2011

nomnomnom.

I want to try to start posting recipes on here periodically. I LOVE to cook. I love to feed people and bless them in that way. I love knowing that I can make a nourishing meal for my hubby and myself and one day our family. But I've gotten stuck in a cooking rut. I've noticed I have a regular dinner rotation and that's what I always make and, while I'm good at those meals, I really want to try new things.

So tonight I tried a recipe from Kristen's blog that she found on Real Simple. I heart Real Simple! It was super easy to make and so yummy! I wasn't sure how it would turn out because I've never tasted Coconut milk, but it was a really subtle, yummy flavor. I would even maybe add more next time! I left out the beans because I don't have any, and I added broccoli, and orange and yellow bell peppers along with the red. I don't really measure things so I don't know if I followed the recipe exactly but it was pretty close. Next time I'll add more cumin, and maybe just a tad more salt. I would definitely recommend trying this! Even if you're not really a cook, it is so easy! I wish I had more pics to share of it, but I didn't get the idea to take pics and blog the recipe til half way through making it, and the only decent shot I got was of the coconut milk, so that's all you get : ) I got the coconut milk in the mexican section at Kroger for like 2 bucks or maybe less.



So here's the rest of the recipe!

1 cup long-grain white rice
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
kosher salt and pepper
1 large red bell pepper, sliced 1/4 inch thick ( I also used orange and yellow)
1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
as much broccoli as you like!

to make the beans:
1 19-ounce can black beans, drained
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin


Directions
Cook the rice according to the package directions, replacing 1 cup of water with the coconut milk.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook for 3 minutes. Turn the chicken and move it to the sides of the skillet.
Add the bell peppers and broccoli and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until the bell pepper is slightly soft and the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes. Transfer to plates.
Add the beans, cumin, ¼ teaspoon salt, and the remaining oil to skillet. Cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve with chicken and rice.


Since i didn't use beans, I added the cumin in with the garlic. It turned out great!

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment