March 26, 2011

spring goals part deux

I'm trying really hard to stick to my spring goals list. So far the things I'm doing best at are writing plans down and exercising 3 times a week. I got that little planner at Target, but then a couple weeks later I got an iphone, and I've been using the calendar on that to keep all my plans and stuff in. It's working out really well because it's always in my bag, whereas I might not always have a paper calendar with me and then forget to write stuff down. Also I think to look at my calendar on my phone everyday, whereas with the one I got from Target would sit on my dresser untouched sometimes for a couple days. It also has a little reminder alarm go off an hour or 2 before everything I schedule, so I can't forget. It's really nice. I feel a lot less scattered and unorganized now that I'm keeping my schedule.

As far as exercising, I've been mostly taking Harlem out and doing the walk/jog thing, and also I've found 2 dvd's that I really like. One is the Gaiam yoga conditioning for weight loss and the other is Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred. I like the yoga one because it focuses on the health aspects of yoga and how it helps your body. I tried to do a yoga video once and the first thing they said when it got started was to invite the sprits of whatever into my soul or something. Obvi not my thing, so I promptly said "pass" and turned it off. THIS yoga video, however, is only interested in helping you get healthier and more in tune with your body, which I'm all about. She explains why certain moves are beneficial while you're doing them, which I really like. For example, I never knew that twisting your torso helped to flush toxins out of your body. I think that's pretty cool! It's challenging but relaxing at the same time. I really feel good after I finish it. The 30 day shred is HARD. Like, I thought it was highly possible that I would keel over half way through, but I like it because 1) she doesn't say stupid crap like " you look great!" When she clearly has no idea how I look because she not here to see me. She says stuff like " If you want results, you have to fight for them." and "I know you want to quit, but don't. You can do this." and "There is no shame in doing the modified version, don't hurt yourself." And TRUST me when I say, I am doing the modified version. She also breaks everything down into 30-60 second circuits, and I really like that a lot. She goes from cardio to strength to abs and back again over and over for 20 minutes, but it doesn't feel repetitive or boring. And it's REALLY challenging, but I feel good after doing it.


I also THINK I'm doing good at being encouraging and wifely to Matt, but that I can always get better at : ) I have some ideas for crafty things, so hopefully I can do some fun stuff soon. My biggest struggle has been quiet times. I schedule them in every day, but the problem is actually doing it even when I see it on my schedule. It's so easy to get distracted. But I'm working hard on it!

As far as finding specific ministries, As I've prayed about it I've realized that the one thing I've been really heartbroken over and interested in for like a year is human trafficking and modern day slavery, so I've been getting involved with organizations and activities to help fight it. I'm walking in a 5k in April where all the proceeds go toward fighting human trafficking. I'm really excited to be a part of it and to Learn other ways that I can be a part of the fight. I'm praying that God opens doors for me to be make more of a difference in the lives of enslaved women and children in the forced prostitution industry, and in the lives of forced slaves all over the world.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I have heard great things about the 30 Day Shred and I just might have to try it! I am a fitness fanatic - I work out 6 days a week and do my best to eat right. I've done P90X, Insanity and now I'm doing Turbo Fire and also Zumba once a week with a class. I'm telling you, Zumba is SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete